Monday, February 11, 2013

What I Should Have Done This Weekend....


Balancing Writing and Life

So, here it is, Monday morning.  The weekend has been very successful.  I got the house cleaned, laundry done, groceries for the week (plus) purchased AND put away.  I have spent quality time with my family, attended church, and feel like I can start the week on the right foot.

Except…

I was only able to accomplish some of the things I wanted to get done.  The house was sort of cleaned up, with a lot of help from the hubby and kids; groceries purchased and put away, again with help, but I am not sure I adequately planned for the entire week.  I did go to church, and tried to spend some quality time with hubby and kids – not nearly enough, I’m sure.  I start this week trying to get done what I was unable to accomplish from the prior week.  This is not the foot that I really wanted to start the week on. 

Here’s the thing - I have a plan; a schedule.  It starts when I wake in the morning, and includes time for getting housework done, legal work done, and other necessary jobs (paying bills, getting gas in the car – you know, those little things that turn into big things when they are not actually accomplished!).  I even have time for writing.

Writing…

And that is the big problem.  My grand scheme; my fabulously, meticulously thought-out schedule means squat if I do not actually follow it.  I am consumed with writing.  And when I am not writing, I have my nose in a book.  This has become my life, but is now bordering on obsession. 

So, it is time to get serious about my schedule, and get back to my life.  So far this morning, I have folded and put away the clean clothes that have been in a pile on my bedroom floor for a week.  My patient hubby’s gentle nudge this morning, reminding me that he needs clean clothes for work, and it would be nice if he could actually find them when he needs them, did not go unnoticed.  It is not too much to ask, and I am endeavoring to be better about it.  Starting today…

I have a schedule.  I will stick to it.  Now, I need to stop writing, and take the children to school before they are late.  Oh, crap…

Tomorrow…

Tomorrow, I stick to my schedule.

 Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment